Basic first aid saves Sunbury toddler

Basic first aid was not so basic when it saved the life of a three-year-old boy when he fell from a first-floor window.

The parents of the Sunbury toddler who survived the fall in March are thanking paramedics for saving the life of their son Noah and raising awareness of the critical skill of basic first aid.

Noah’s mother, Rachael, called triple zero within seconds of the accident as her first aid training kicked in – keeping Noah alive until paramedics arrived.

Mobile Intensive Care Ambulance (MICA) and Air MICA crews provided specialist care to Noah on the way to the Royal Children’s Hospital.

AV Metro Regional Director Michael Georgiou said it is crucial parents learn basic first aid.

“Knowing what to do in the first minutes of an emergency can make a massive difference to the eventual outcome,” he said.

L-R: Paramedics Chris, Jamie, Steph, and Sarah, with mum Rachael with Noah, dad Stephen, brother Nate, and MICA Flight paramedic Andrew.

“We encourage all Victorians to contribute to improved patient outcomes by learning the skills to respond to health emergencies.”

Rachael said the community’s support since the accident had been incredible.

“There’s still a long way to go in his recovery, but he’s done better than anyone would have thought,” Rachael said.

“You never think that something so serious is ever going to happen to your child. I’m glad I had the first aid training to know what to do.”

Just four weeks after the accident, little Noah was discharged from hospital, and his mother said he was back to being the happy, friendly and bubbly kid he always had been.

    You may also like...