Students recognised for legal studies
Two Sunbury college students have been recognised by the Victorian Bar for academic excellence in legal studies.
The students, two of 17 from across Hume to be recognised for the award, will participate in work experience during school holidays that will include a tour of the Supreme Court of Victoria and briefings from leading barristers.
Speaking at the presentation the Chair of the Victorian Bar Foundation, on Monday 3 July, retired Supreme Court Judge John Digby, said the initiative is aimed at encouraging local students to pursue a career in the law.
The Mayor of Hume City, Cllr Joseph Haweil, said: “I hope those involved are proud of their hard work and take the opportunity to learn from others in the field.”
The Victorian Bar Foundation Student Achievement Award and Mentoring Program winners for 2023 are:
- Jasmine Roeschmann Roxburgh College
- Komal Joshi Hume Anglican Grammar
- Aron Ko Craigeburn Secondary College
- Mohammad Mahmood Sheikh Sirius College Boys’ Campus
- Abdurrahman Merhi Ilim College Boys’ Campus
- Filiz Ozkadi Ilim College Girls’ Campus
- Claire Adams Penola Catholic College
- Selafina Akauola Kolbe Catholic College
- David Geissler Sunbury Downs College
- Rita Gawrge St. Mary’s Coptic Orthodox College
- Hajrah Sajid Sirius College Girls’ Campus
- Maryam Albert Hume Central Secondary College
- Sarah Foster Salesian College
- Flanna Maju Aitken College
- Tyra Saavedra Mount Ridley College
- Callum McMahon Sunbury College
- Hanna Alnader Gladstone Park Secondary College